This blog has moved! Please continue reading at Cupcakes & Coffee Breaks.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Grilled Pepperoni & Cheese

This is a pretty straightforward "recipe", but my husband made it and it was delicious, so I'm sharing it with you. Maybe someone has never made grilled cheese before, and will appreciate it!

When going gluten free, I was surprised to discover that it really was not very difficult, especially because the online grocery delivery service I use has nutrition filters which clearly mark which foods are "safe". Additionally, I don't eat very much bread anyway, so I was all set with quinoa noodles and gluten free flour for recipes that called for a tablespoon or two.

But then we started talking about grilled cheese sandwiches, and, as is probably the case with all dietary restrictions, I started craving something that definitely, absolutely required the forbidden bread.

Luckily, I found a "tapioca loaf" of bread, which is wheat, gluten, and dairy free. Prepared for the possibility of an unpleasant surprise, MC (Mr. Cole) used it in the grilled cheese recipe.

Ingredients:
  • Slices of bread (2 per sandwich)
  • 2 slices of cheddar per sandwich
  • Pepperoni as desired
  • Butter
Butter the slices of bread on one side (this will be the outside of the sandwich). Place the 2 slices of cheese in between the slices of bread (buttered sides out). If you are using pepperoni or other ingredients in the sandwiches, place them between the slices of cheese. Cook each sandwich on both sides in a sauce pan until the bread is golden brown, and the cheese has melted.


MC notes that the gluten free bread seemed to cook a little faster than regular bread. I didn't notice a difference between regular bread and gluten free bread we used, but he said it had a bit of the texture of angel food cake, though it was still enjoyable.

Of course, grilled cheese would not be complete without tomato soup! I don't have a recipe to share today, because we didn't make it from scratch, but I did notice that I was only able to find gluten free tomato soup sold in a carton, rather than a can.

Follow me on Pinterest for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment