- Noodles of your choice (I used one 13 oz box of regular wheat penne, and about half of an 8 oz. box of gluten free quinoa noodles)
- One 8 oz cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 fat)
- 2 cups of shredded cheese of your choice (recommended that you use mostly cheddar, but feel free to mix it up!)
- 3 tbsp flour (I used Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free)
- 1/2-1 tsp of ground cayenne pepper, depending on your preference
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 2 cups of milk (I used skim in the recipe)
Boil and strain the noodles according to the package directions. In a medium pan add butter/olive oil and cream cheese. It is helpful to cut the cream cheese into smaller pieces before tossing it into the pan, if you are using an 8 ounce block. Cook this on medium-high heat for a few minutes to soften the cream cheese further.
Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles, and you're finished!
Using the amount of ingredients listed for the cheese sauce, I had just enough for 15-16 oz of noodles. If you are gluten free, you will likely only need to swap out the flour and noodles for gluten free options. The cheese sauce tastes no different with gluten free flour as opposed to regular white flour, which is great if you, like me, are cooking for a household where not everyone else is avoiding gluten.
|Wheat noodles, and gluten free macaroni & cheese!|
Follow me on Pinterest!