This blog has moved! Please continue reading at Cupcakes & Coffee Breaks.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Crockpot Chicken Chili

I have to admit that cooking with a slow cooker/crockpot made me slightly anxious. I was, perhaps unreasonably, worried that leaving the appliance plugged in and cooking all day would leave me to come home to a flaming pile of rubble where my kitchen used to be. Luckily, this did not happen, and using a crockpot has become one of my favorite ways to cook.

I <3 Crockpot
 

One of my go to meals is this simple chicken chili, which uses only a few ingredients, but is so simple and tastes great! Feel free to modify to use whatever you have on hand.

You will need:

  • Approximately 6 chicken breasts (depending on the size). You can also substitute ground chicken, but the shredded chicken breast is definitely better, in my opinion.
  • One 28 ounce can of diced (not crushed!) tomatoes
  • One jar of salsa
  • 1 can of corn
  • 2 cans of the beans of your preference. I usually use cannellini, but I've also used black beans and kidney beans, or a mix!
  • Cheese, for topping
*If you're feeling spicy, try making it buffalo-style, by adding 1/2 tsp of oregano (approx.), and 3/4 cup of buffalo sauce!

Place the whole, uncooked chicken breasts in the crockpot first, then dump the remaining ingredients on top. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Afterward, the chicken will shred easily with two forks. Mix it up and enjoy!

You might also like to cook:
Moussaka Casserole
Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta

No comments:

Post a Comment