This blog has moved! Please continue reading at Cupcakes & Coffee Breaks.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Faux Potatoes: Mashed Cauliflower

When it comes to eating healthy, potatoes, in their many delicious forms, are my weakness. Sure, they technically count as vegetables (depending on who you ask), but they are, unfortunately, purveyors of copious amounts of sweet, sweet carbs.

I had heard of using cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes, and I was intrigued, but not totally convinced that mashed cauliflower didn't just look like mashed potatoes, without tasting like them. Here is the recipe that I used:


Note: I'm short on space in this apartment, and I'm not always sure that I will be able to use fresh veggies in time, so I chose to use frozen cauliflower. You can substitute a head of fresh cauliflower as you wish.

You will need:
  • 1 lb of cauliflower (fresh or frozen)
  • 3 tsbp of butter
  • 2 cloves of garlic (add more to taste)
  • 1/3 of an 8 oz block of cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup of ground or grated parmesan cheese
  • Chives, basil, or other seasonings for garnish
  • A food processor
To make, boil or steam the cauliflower until hot. While it is still hot, add to the food processor along with the butter, cream cheese, parmesan, and garlic. Blend until smooth. Serve topped with chives (optional).

This recipe was really, surprisingly good, and similar to potatoes! While it was not exactly the same, it was definitely close enough, and would probably work very well in recipes that call for mashed potatoes, as a way to cut carbs.

Follow me on Pinterest.

You may also be interested in:

1 comment:

  1. Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole's Chatter is collecting links to dishes using cauliflower and/or cabbage. I do hope you link this in. This is the link . It would be great if you checked out some of the other links – there are lots of good ones already. Cheers

    ReplyDelete